Journal of the Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society
The AAHGS Journal is an annual publication featuring original research written by scholars and family historians/genealogists on African American history and genealogy based upon enumerations, abstracts of manuscripts, and records from courts, archives, churches, oral histories, and other primary sources. .
The AAHGS Journal through Editorial Board is committed to:
- documenting and preserving the African and African American experience by publishing historical and genealogical research of interest to African American family researchers and scholars; and
- facilitating dissemination of historical and genealogical resources that will assist African American family researchers and scholars.
Topics of original research that are of interest to our readers include but are not limited to:
- African American and African family and social histories, genealogy, cultural traditions, family stories of larger social significance, and philosophy
- Resources and methods of African American historical and genealogical research particularly before 1870
- Documentation of African American families, communities, cemeteries, historic buildings, and oral traditions
- Documentation of African American organizations
- Resources and methods of research in Africa and documentation of African oral traditions
- Ancestry charts, family group record sheets, personal family papers
- Miscellaneous topics of interest to the African ancestored researcher and other researchers interested in the particular challenges of African American genealogy.
For information on re-printing material from AAHGS Journal please click here.