BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
AAHGS Chapters are located in cities across the continental Unites States. They have associations with multiple state, county and local departments as well as genealogical and historical societies, and family associations. Many also enjoy these benefits:
- Access to Knowledgeable network of Researchers
- Access to the AAHGS Members-Only Area on the National Website
- Access to the archive of issues of AAHGS News & AAHGS Journal Index
- Access to the local Chapter Members Only website area
- Annual Conference discounted registration
- Bereavement Notification
- Chapter Liaison and Communication to the National Delegation Representative of AAHGS to the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS)
- Chapter submittal of genealogical events to the AAGHS National Calendar
- Chapter Voting Privileges in meetings and of leadership
- Discount on AAHGS publications
- Governed by National Society Bylaws
- Invitations to special events and programs
- National Website Access
- Opportunities for national and chapter leadership, community action and service
- Recognize members and volunteers by nominating them for AAHGS National Awards
- Submit articles and announcements for inclusion in both the AAHGS News and AAHGS JOURNAL and blog.
- Subscription to the local Chapter Publication
- Subscriptions to the Award-winning AAHGS JOURNAL, a scholarly bi-annual publication
- Subscriptions to the Award-winning Informative AAHGS NEWS our bi-monthly electronic magazine, the prime source for up-to-date information about Black genealogy issues
- Welcome Listing in the AAHGS News
Additional benefits to the individual, family, and chapter members are many:
- The ability to network within the framework of a national organization;
- being a part of the largest African American genealogy society in the country;
- gaining national exposure by speaking or making presentations at AAHGS sponsored events and conferences;
- having advocates on the boards of other national organizations and libraries;
- assisting researchers from other areas with your local knowledge;
- post queries in other chapter newsletters and blogs;
- improvement of genealogical research skills and influencing state and national proposed statures that limit access to public records
AAHGS Affiliate Subscribers Organizations include libraries, archives, and educational institution. They enjoy these among other benefits:
- Listing in AAHGS Publications
- Subscriptions to AAHGS News and National Journal
- Access to the AAHGS Members-Only Area
- Access to the archive of issues of AAHGS News and JOURNAL
- Voting Privileges
Membership Application and Dues:
There are several ways to join.
- Prospective members may complete an online application.
- Download application and mail with payment information to: AAHGS Membership, P.O. Box 73067, Washington, DC 20056-3067
- Attend a local chapter meeting and join through a chapter.
To obtain chapter dues information, perspective members can phone AAHGS Recruitment and Retention at 202 234-5350.
Membership in the national society and local chapters are separate – you will need to join both (unless there is no local chapter for your area). Your membership begins the day you join and expires on December 31 of that year. Dues are non-refundable. AAHGS does not automatically renew a membership upon expiration. Members are notified before their expiration date and given the opportunity to renew.
We offer several levels of membership: Individual ($35), Family ($40) and Organization ($45). A family membership includes you and one other person. Organization memberships apply only to the individual who is the representative of the organization. We also encourage lifetime memberships ($1,000) and bequests to our endowment fund.